All About Personal Redemptive Stories on the Web

Monday, April 04, 2005

Significance of Personal Stories - Part 3

(Continued from part 1 and part 2)

Adams’ responses to his pleas for advice seemed veiled in meaning, yet now Joadson saw that this was the President’s method of teaching. He wanted Joadson to discover it on his own. “Yes. What is their story?” Joadson thought. “I’m sure I can imagine some of it. . . . Theirs must be a story of suffering and horror. . . Yet I don’t want to push their story away – I want to know it! . . . Their story informs my personal story like no other . . . My story is their story! . . . Ah, if only the court could imagine and see just a fraction of their true story . . .”

From that point on, Joadson knew what he needed to do. He needed to tell their story! He needed to prove to the court much more than a country of origin for the Amistad slaves. He needed to prove the Amistad slaves were individual human beings – each with a unique story. “A person’s official credentials can only gain entry into a country, but a story will gain entry into the heart of individuals and a nation,” Joadson said to himself.

Joadson’s mind raced with ideas and he made several – too many – mental notes as to how he would inform the Amistad legal counsel about the advice gleaned from Adams. Finally, Joadson shut off the tidal wave of his thoughts, realizing he should voice a response to the lesson he had just received.

“I understand your point, sir. You speak the truth. I do not know their story. . . . But I will learn it. And know it by heart. . . . Their story is indeed the key. Yes, yes, their story proves their human character,” Joadson nodded as he unlocked his thoughts before the President. “Their story validates their dignity.”

“I’m much obliged for your time, sir. And, it has been an honor . . . I’m indeed grateful for your advice, Mr. President,” Joadson said.

Joadson left on the train the next morning, confident of the new direction for the case. He smiled the most contented smile he had produced in a long time.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?